shrimp soup and the new michelin

I made a really tasty (and spicy) shrimp soup last night — an instant favorite recipe that is very forgiving to variations.

But first, I just got home from an interesting panel discussion headed by Mike Colameco for the launch of the new 2010 Michelin Guide to NYC. When the Michelin Man showed up, everyone got a good chuckle. The event at the Borders in Columbus Circle was standing-room-only.

Panelists included the amazing restaurateur Danny Meyer, one of the world’s greatest chefs Jean-Georges Vongerichten, legendary critic Mimi Sheraton, and Kate Krader from Food & Wine magazine, which brings me back to the yummy soup recipe.

According to Tracey’s Culinary Adventures where I got the recipe, the original comes from Food & Wine. My main substitution was a big one. Instead of chorizo, I used a vegetarian “Mexican chipotle grain meat sausage” from a company called Original Field Roast Grain Meat Co. It was an impulse purchase, and the soup turned out great — smoky and zesty. Nobody is going to miss the meat if you use this.

This entry was posted in soup and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to shrimp soup and the new michelin

1. Looks fabulous and sounds very interesting with your purchase. Cool event.

2. Helene says:

I have not seen this recipe in my F&W. I'll have to read it again. Looks delicious.

3. Jenn says:

the michelin man reminds of that marshmallow guy from Ghostbusters. lol.Awesome soup. I actually had a craving for some shrimp bisque earlier today. I think I 'll have to add that to my menu for the upcoming days.

4. Krista says:

Oooh. Yummy! I made a spicy shrimp soup with coconut milk last month and was very pleased with the result. This looks delicious. I may need to revisit spicy shrimp soup with this version.

5. Amanda says:

That soup looks super delicious. I cook for a few vegetarian clients and haven't seen this product before. Looks good.That panel discussion sounds interesting. Did anyone bring up the demise of Gourmet magazine?

6. TKW says:

I'm with Jenn on the Ghostbusters reference…dang, does that make me sound old?Soup looks awesome! But I can't visit this site without severe location jealousy…

7. Palidor says:

The Mexican chipotle grain sausage actually sounds more interesting than chorizo (though that's tasty too). Very nice soup.

FwLT: thanks, and yeah, it was funhelene: was it the Oct. issue? that's in my head for some reason.jenn: yeah, totally. it's hard to go wrong with shrimp soupskrista: right, i'm thinking about a coconut milk version nextamanda: yeah, i hadn't seen it before either. it's really interesting. yes, when they opened it up for questions, someone asked them to comment. the answers were predictable along the lines of "a tragedy…"tkw: ha, well then i'm old too. this soup is pretty easy, so i have to recommend it.palidor: i agree about this probably being better than chorizo

9. Justin – what a wonderful light soup, filled with some interesting flavors. I am positively going to be trying it.Oh, wanted to ask if it is true, that Gourmet magazine is not going to be published any more?

10. Tasty Trix says:

I love cooking with Field Roast meatless products … I can't imagine feeling like you're "missing" the meat, they're so flavorful and well made. Great looking soup!!

11. MIKA says:

oh my god ! this soup looks exactly what I am craving for RIGHT NOW…I think I should send Jason to wholefoods now, right now.

george: it's definitely true about gourmet… very strangetastry trix: i agreemika: hey, thanks for visiting. jason would LOVE this soup.

Soup looks awesome Justin.

14. Dawn says:

lol ghostbusters. I guess congrats are in order, but I dunno.love your new profile pic, are you eating an ice cream? I don't have my glasses on. lol

15. Joanna says:

Yum…that sounds terrific! Great photo.

eliana: thanksdawn: i was eating the frozen key lime pie thing i wrote about in the post before this one… yumjoanna: thanks

17. Kerstin says:

Mmm, what a lovely spicy soup – love all the shrimp in it!

18. Barbara says:

Interesting event; must have been fun.Your soup looks delicious- and great that your substitution turned out so well- probably better than the original recipe!

19. Kristin says:

That veggie sausage does sound interesting… and your soup looks awesome!!! I'd like to start experimenting with meat alternatives too, I'll have to look into that one… nothing wrong with an impulse buy once in awhile ; )

20. Ginger says:

The soup looks outstanding! Thanks for the idea of grain meat! Seriously, I am ordering some as I write.

kerstin: i can never get enough shrimpbarbara: yeah, you might be rightkristin: i have a feeling this product would work well in a lot of recipesginger: ha, really? i hope you enjoy it if you try it.

22. Joanne says:

Whoa that grain sausage actually sounds really good. I will have to hunt some down. This looks like a really hearty soup, and super flavorful.

23. stephchows says:

that's great to know the veggie sausage stood in so well! It sure looks delicious!

24. Katie says:

can i please have some shrimp soup!!! : )

25. LOVE SHRIMP! U TOO I KNOW!!! Did I miss something? Why was Michelin mingling with chefs?

26. Catherine says:

Looks great! This soup looks so good and I do love shrimp and spice!

27. Koko says:

Wow that soup looks great and unique. I love the substitution you used, as well.The Michelin Man– too funny!!

joanne: i think you'll like it, and if my local korean deli had it, then it's probably in a lot of storesstephchows: thankskatie: i'll save you some next timemorta di fame: yes, actually. the editor guy in the middle of the panel doesn't really do reviews, so he knows all the chefs. he was joking around that he gets taken care of everywhere he goes, but the real reviewers are anonymous.catherine: me tookoko: yeah, it was so funny when the michelin man came out… he was goofing around behind the panelists

29. girlichef says:

Huh…interesting substitution…it looks out of this world! Although I soooo love chorizo, so I don't think I could do it, LOL. But I'd definitely slurp up a big bowl either way!

30. biz319 says:

That soup looks amazing, I love all things spicy. Thanks for sharing!

31. chocolatecup says:

oooh. yummy looking soup. i think its really hard for me to find places which serve good soup! well either i am picky or there really is a lack of nice soup places here. send me some of yours pls!!! hehe

girlichef: yeah, chorizo is awesome, but i swear you would have loved this soup as i made itbiz319: then you probably would have liked thischocolatecup: oh yeah, i almost never get soup when i'm out because it's rare to find anything better than homemade soup. of course i'm not talking about chinese hand-pulled noodle soup and ramen, because i go out for those ALL the time

33. Tracey says:

Your soup looks wonderful! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Great substitution too – I'm definitely going to sub for the chorizo next time I make it.

34. The soup looks and sounds amazing. Anything with chorizo for me!

tracey: hi, thanks… it worked out wellpigpigscorner: ha… thanks for stopping by