basil, rosemary, and focaccia

Much to my surprise, my basil plant has sort of come back to life. When I took a little vacation to Cape May in August, the plant got way too much sun and totally dried up. I figured that was it, but I cut off the dead parts (almost all of it) just in case there was some hope for revival. Well, as the weather has cooled down and we had some rainy days, the plant almost magically came back to life. It’s not 100% yet, but I’m getting some nice leaves off it for pasta dishes.

Which reminds me, I never talk about my rosemary plant. It’s really happy, even though I mostly ignore it. I think I got that little bunny figure for free once at a garden store. How cute is he, peeking out from the rosemary?

And that reminds me of the yummy shrimp soup I made. One of the best things about soup is serving it with good bread. I planned ahead and made some dough for focaccia the night before. The bread was pretty casual, free form, with sea salt on top, and of course I used some of that awesome rosemary too. Nothing fancy here — but what a treat. We devoured the bread in one sitting.

This entry was posted in bread and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to basil, rosemary, and focaccia

1. Steph says:

I haven't had focaccia in ages! I need to make some soon, but I'm too lazy to boil a potato.

2. Joanne says:

That rosemary foccaccia looks amazing. The perfect marriage of herbs and carbs.Thanks so much for the SF tips! I have added so many of the places to my list of must-eats. The ones that are especially highlighted are the ice cream shop and burma superstar. Can't wait!

steph: well, focaccia is pretty easy to makejoanne: glad i could help. the only downside to those two places is that they get really crowded. both are likely to have a wait to get in… and the ice cream shop line is insane at peak hours.

4. Anh says:

wow you have wonderful garden here! I never have such luck with herbs!

5. I love the looks of that focaccia bread!

6. stephchows says:

oh yum! I love focaccia and homemade is always 100 times better than store bought :)

7. One of my favorite things to eat….and shrimp!

No need to be fancy when you've got good flavors. This focaccia looks great.

9. Hanaâ says:

I can eat soup and bread any day. Love how your focaccia turned out. I like to drizzle my focaccia dough with olive oil before adding the dimples to the dough (right before the last rise). Not sure if you used any. Which recipe did you use for the bread?

10. Justin… nothing fills a kitchen like the aroma of focaccia baking in the oven. Look forward to trying this real soon. Thanks…

11. Juliana says:

Oh! Your focaccia looks terrific, nothing like fresh herbs on it…

anh: thanks… i get lucky sometimes with plantspeachkins: thanks, it was yummystephchows: definitelymorta di fame: ha, me tooeliana: i agreehanaa: yeah, i sometimes do that, but I didn't want it to be too oilygeorge: thanks for visitingjuliana: thanks

13. Helene says:

I love focaccia. So easy to make and so delicious.

14. Velva says:

The bread looks delicious. Dipped in a little olive oil and it's over the top for me-YUM!Just harvested the last of my basil. I am planning to make batches of pesto to freeze. I find with my rosemary that is always best to ignore it:-)

15. Sasha says:

Mm focaccia.Growing herbs on your fire escape? Lol. It's so crazy, it just might work : )

16. Claudia says:

My basil dies in the snow but my rosemary and thyme braved the early winter. I am thinking of the alluring aroma in my home when I make the focaccia.

17. Abby says:

I have some plants and flowers that have been rejuvenated with this month's rain, too!I was just thinking today that next year I want some potted herbs to flavor focaccia.

helene: definitelyvelva: i don't think i have quite enough basil to make pesto, but maybe it will last another few weeks for using in day-to-day cookingsasha: yeah well, you gotta make do sometimes… claudia: ha, basil does not like snow!abby: oh yeah? it's nice how that happens.

19. Pandalicious says:

very cute bunny. bread looks yum too.

20. Looks great. I love that little bunny. Such a cutie.

21. Marguerite says:

That focaccia looks fabulous with the basil and rosemary! Yummm!!I just love Cape May. Spent part of my honeymoon there!

22. Jenn says:

That's great your basil plant has risen from the dead. lol.I'd love to try and make foccacia. Have you tried Liguria Bakery in SF? I think they make the best foccacia bread ever. Quite frankly that's the only thing they make and they always sell out before lunch. It's soooo good and I believe one of the flavors is a basil and rosemary.

pandalicious and food with little thyme: thanks… i was wondering why no one said anything about the bunnymarguerite: cape may is definitely a nice area — a little something for everyonejenn: ha, thanks. i don't think i tried that bakery when i've visited. i love places like that with one specialty.

24. Ginger says:

Your focaccia looks so fresh and YUMMY! I wonder if my basil plant has any chance of making a comeback?? Seeing your herbs makes me want to start all over again and plant a winter indoor garden??

25. It's so sad, I kill all my herbs. Good for you growing some nice plants! The bread looks great.

ginger: i wish i had more luck with indoor winter gardensmichele: oh no!

27. I love those herbs! Your Focaccia looks fantastic and so good!I really have to make that speciality again, but just like Steph, I'm too lazy to boil a potatoe ;-P…Cheers,Rosa

28. pollicino says:

Hallo.I have visited your interesting blog.Do You want visit the my blog for an exchange visit?Grazie.http://internapoli-city.blogspot.com/

29. Muneeba says:

I love the idea of growing your own herbs! I really must get my hands on some … do you have any tips on buying the right seeds? Did u go to a nursery or just Walmart?!

30. Lo says:

Rosemary is one of my favorite herbs — and not just because it's so low maintenance. Love the foccaccia; bet it was just swell with the soup.How are the leftovers of that shrimp soup? Do they hold up?

31. Janice says:

The bread looks good! I love focaccia bread with anything.

rosa: oh come on, you can't be that lazy!pollicino: thanks for visiting… I'll stop by your blog toomuneeba: i admit i buy small plants. growing from seeds is a little difficult for me.lo: i bet leftovers would be good, but we ate it all!janice: me too

33. Nancy says:

Rosemary focaccia is one of my favorites, and yours looks incredible! My first attempt at sourdough starter is brewing at home right now – hoping to make some rye bread with it this weekend.Looking forward to reading more of your blog!

nancy: thanks for visiting!

35. Hi Justin! Thanks for visiting my blog. I am so jealous of your basil and rosemary plants. They look so…healthy (despite you mostly ignoring the rosemary.) I have attempted many times to grow herbs but my tiny nyc apartment is where plants go to die. Seriously, I couldn't even keep a cactus alive.

36. Yasmeen says:

Can't imagine the aroma of baking Rosemary Focaccia.Love the herb pots.

la pastry chef: well, if i didn't have a little space in the back on the fire escape, i wouldn't be able to grow herbs either.yasmeen: yeah, it's really nice

38. The foccacia sure looks amazing. I would like some please. :)

39. pinkstripes says:

You just reminded me to water my herbs. I'm always forgetting…Your focaccia looks wonderful!

40. chocolatecup says:

oh myyyyy. yes. it would really be the best pairing with your shrimp soup. I can almost taste it!wished that was MY lunch tomr!!! :((

murasaki: next time i'll call you…pinkstripes: yeah, me too. but it's been so cold here lately, i think my herbs aren't going to last much longerchocolatecup: i made a sort of pizza thing with roasted peppers and goat cheese tonite, but i used storebought bread… that focaccia would have been a million times better

42. Chef Fresco says:

I am so jealous of all your basil & rosemary! That focaccia looks amazing.

43. Koko says:

Ohhhh holy moly this looks good. I love fresh herbs!!!

chef fresco: well, the basil is just about gone nowkoko: ha, thanks