a whole lotta pork

Pig by James Villas
A year ago I was writing about a photoshoot for a cookbook, but it was too early to tell you about it. Well, the book is being released this week, so now’s the time to spill the beans. I’m about to publish a new book with the amazing James Villas called Pig: King of the Southern Table. I think the name says it all, but if it needs explaining, the book is all pork recipes from the Southern United States. Pig isn’t quite in stores yet — give it another week or two — so you’re getting a special preview. These snapshots are all taken by me at the shoot. Simon Andrews did the awesome food styling, and the props are by Penelope Bouklas. The real food photos in the book are taken by Lucy Schaeffer, and you’re definitely going to want to check those out for yourself. But here are a bunch of my snapshots from the shoot, to whet your appetite.
Pig by James Villas
Pig by James Villas
Pig by James Villas
Simon Andrews food stylist on shoot for Pig by James Villas
Pig by James Villas
Pig by James Villas
Pig by James Villas
Pig by James Villas

This entry was posted in Cookbooks, Southern cooking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to a whole lotta pork

1. Mhel says:

I am starving! I need a slab of pig. Everything looks yummy. Especially the ham and shepherds pie and the casserole… you are punishing me, its 4 am here…. hahaha

2. That first shot sure makes me hungry. Spain is a country where you can get very good quality pork so I end-up eating a lot of it here. :)

3. Kim says:

Thanks for sharing the photos with us. It looks like a promising cookbook!

4. Cucinista says:

Get ready for the pig puns… but those photos look so good. I'd be standing there tapping my foot ready to take some away too.

5. Joanne says:

Damn. That pork looks GOOD. Especially since it is my absolute favorite meat. Ever. I am going to have to check out that cookbook.

mhel: i was at a couple of events recently with whole pigs, one full-sized and one suckling. the full-sized one was a little scary.murasaki: that's for sure re: Spainkim: you're welcomecucinista: thanks for visitingpeachkins: thanksjoanne: ha, this sounds like the book for you

7. ChineseKite says:

If I were Jen, I would be asking that question, too. Those pictures make me drool. Pork is good.

8. Claudia says:

Oh so enticing. think I need to rethink dinner to include pork.

9. Phyllis says:

That casserole with the biscuits on top and the drizzle of juices running down the side is making me so hungry! Thanks for the preview, looks like a great cookbook.

10. Roberta says:

Wow. Thanks for sharing! That looks amazing!

11. stephchows says:

*drool* if I could I would marry ham… dear ham, I love you

12. Mhel says:

You should try our suckling pig and the lechon, the bigger one… We have a strip (the place is called Laloma) that sells whole roast pig. The whole street is open 24 hours and sells nothing but roast pig and cow. Just imagine the whole cow! Anthony Bourdain had tasted it and even said "World's Best Pig"… http://penspansandpuns.blogspot.com/2009/12/lalomadness.html

13. May I ask you to tell James Villas I love him. Every time I make those Town & Country pickles of his I genuflect to his genius. His storytelling is unmatched.Put me down for one copy!!!! You are so lucky to have worked with him!!!

chinesekite: ha, of courseclaudia: it's hard not to rethink dinner to include pork all the timephyllis: yeah, i love it when we're doing a food shot and we get drips like thatroberta: thanksstephchows: that's hystericalnhel: that sounds insane. i have actually tried lechon before, including the whole roasted pig on a spit. it's a little crazy.lpr: wow, how nice that you're such a big fan. i talk to him pretty much every day, so I'll mention it.

15. baconista says:

YUM! I must get this book! Every time I've been to the Philippines, we'd have Lechon practically everyday. It was kind of sad when I was little & was playing with the pig just a few hours earlier. I'm over it though!

16. The pulled pork on burger buns is fantastic! Congrats on getting your book published.

baonista: right, that might be a little disturbingcool lassie: thanks for visiting

18. Sara says:

Those pictures look amazing! I'm going to be on the lookout for that cookbook; I know my husband would love it!

19. Ooh that cookbook looks incredible! thanks for the peek behind the scenes of the book too! :D

sara: it should be in stores within a week or twolorraine: you're welcome, and thanks for stopping by

21. Brandi says:

Congratulations!! I want to eat everything I just saw

22. I'm with Jen, I would look to see what I can take home. This book is getting published in time, it looks like pork is growing more popular than ever.

brandi: thanks!flb: right, this is a good time for a book called PIG

24. // S says:

my mouth is watering as i read this… beautiful food…