banana-cran with Joy

Banana Cranberry Bread
My never-ending search for banana bread recipes landed me at Joy the Baker. I’m not sure how I never knew about her blog before — she gets a ton of comments. I must be living under a rock or something. Not only do her recipes look great, but her posts totally crack me up. I really like the Bake Out with Jill & Joy videos too, but what’s up with her gigantic kitchen? It’s bigger than most NYC apartments. Before I saw this recipe, I don’t think I knew bananas and cranberries were a yummy combination, but now I’m a convert. Here’s how it went.
Banana Cranberry Bread
Banana Cranberry Bread
Banana Cranberry Bread
So far so good, but I thought I didn’t have any bourbon (actually, it was just really well hidden in my cabinet), so I used Grand Marnier, which turned out to be a nice substitution.
Banana Cranberry Bread
I used those dried cranberries instead of fresh. I knew the recipe would turn out a bit differently, but something told me it would be pretty good. You can see in Joy’s post that the fresh berries bake into the bread really nicely though, and I knew I wouldn’t get that effect.
Banana Cranberry Bread
Banana Cranberry Bread
The bread got a really nice, dark crust to it. Of course it softened up after sitting overnight, but those first few pieces while the bread was still warm were spectacular. Then I started wondering what this would be like with walnuts.
Banana Cranberry Bread
See, my cranberries didn’t get that ooziness like Joy’s, but I wasn’t complaining. The texture was fantastic, and this was a recipe I’d definitely make again.

This entry was posted in Baking, quick bread and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to banana-cran with Joy

1. BigAppleNosh says:

Looks delicious; I haven't tried the banana-cran combo, but now I want to.

2. vanillasugar says:

i love joy's recipes. my fav were those flourless pb cookies that i kicked up a notch. oh man, dude i'm telling you. i got a nod from martha stewarts daughter on those. i haven't made banana bread in a long time because of the heat. my oven has been off for months now. but i will soon be changing that. so this bread looks good justin!

3. With the rain in Boston this weekend, I meant to do some baking but never got around to it. This looks really delicious and perfect for a rainy day like today!

4. isn't her kitchen gorgeous? i was drooling over it. haha!i am now drooling over your banana-cran bread.

Your bread came out perfect Justin. And yes – Joy's blog rocks!

6. Joanne says:

I love Joy and her super funny style of writing! It always makes me happy when I see that she's posted. I have never paired cranberries and bananas either but if you give it rave reviews, then I will definitely try it. Plus, I need to use the cranberries I have frozen in my fridge before they come into season again!

7. Claudia says:

Banana seems to go with anything with "berry" at the end. Maybe it's the mellow backdrop it provides. I agree you cannot have too many banana bread recipes. Chocolate…cinnamon….berries… oatmeal…and now – cranberries!

big apple nosh: yeah, trust me on this onedawn: i'm totally checking out that recipe nextf&f in beantown: yeah, the weather changed here too — baking time!in an oyster: i want a kitchen like thateliana: thanks, and totallyjoanne: i had the dried berries in my freezer. i keep nuts in the freezer too. i'm always happy when i want to bake and something from the freezer comes to my rescue.claudia: ha, we think alike

9. Ana Powell says:

And I`ll make it too.Really delicious ♥

10. Bookmarking this recipe for a try-out. It looks splendid!

11. OohLookBel says:

No wonder you gave this recipe a try – the cranberries would make the banana bread so awesome (I'd use dried, too).

12. Elin says:

Thanks for sharing this. I have bookmarked it for my next bake :)

ana: i hope you try itcool lassie: it's a good onebel: right, they're a lot easier to getelin: i hope you try it too

14. newlywed says:

Looks great…a nice way tro transition to fall. (Not that that will ever happen!) But I do have some over-ripe bananas just waiting to be turned into something.

15. Dajana says:

This bread looks fabulous. I'd have to use dried cranberries, too, as fresh ones are just not available here.

newlywed: yeah, it feels like fall here right now, but i think that will change fastdajana: right, i can't get the fresh ones at this time of year, but they'll be around soon

17. confession: it's my parents' kitchen. my real life kitchen is about half the size.your bread looks totally rad. i like the idea of grand marnier. divine!see yo ass at blogher food.

joy: okay, that makes more sense. and thanks. and i guess i'll see you there too.

19. I love Joy's blog too. Looks delicious :)