coconut brownies done right

Coconut Brownies

A few people who saw my last post about holiday baking have asked me what these are. Don’t worry, I was just trying to pace myself.  These are definitely worth talking about. Again the recipe comes from the amazing Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies by Alice Medrich, and they’re called Lacy Coconut-Topped Brownies.

Coconut Brownies

Coconut Brownies

Coconut Brownies

The procedure is a lot of fun.  You start with a rich brownie layer made with just 1/2 cup of flour.  Then try to resist eating the raw batter.  And you make a macaroon-like topping from coconut, egg white, sugar, vanilla, and salt and scatter that on top.

Coconut Brownies

The topping toasts up beautifully, and the brownies stay nice and gooey (and a bit more firm towards the outside pieces).  You know, I’ve made coconut brownies before, and those other recipes haven’t come even close to how good this is.

Coconut Brownies

Of course if cakey is your thing, then you should check out Martha Stewart’s Cookies. But if gooey, rich and awesome is your thing, you might want to get a copy of the new Alice Medrich book and try this out for yourself.

This entry was posted in Baking, brownies and bars, Chocolate, Cookbooks, Desserts, holidays and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to coconut brownies done right

1. Roxan says:

Justin, these look SO amazing! I am tempted to try making this, sans recipe. I’ve never done that with baking before though so I’m a bit nervous, but I think I can do it? I just want to try it…. I’ve never had a coconut brownie before, let along a brownie with a macaroon-like top, but I can imagine how heavenly it is. (I love almond joy). Thank you for the inspiration, and I hope you are having a beautiful new year!

2. tara says:

Oh my, Justin! I HAD been keeping myself away from my copy in an attempt at some restraint. With this, you’ve smashed any semblance of resolve. They look amazing.

ha, really? i mentioned in my last post that i actually bought this for myself, which is kind of weird if you know me in real life. i’ve made at least 6 recipes already.

3. Maria says:

I love chocolate and coconut together. These brownies look divine!

4. why does everyone put/bake their brownies in tin foil? am i the only one that does not do this? is it for the non-stick factor?
    maybe i should get that cookbook.
    did you design your new dot com? or did you hire someone?
    am i asking a lot of questions? lol sorry
    i have to get my own dot com up and running and want to do it myself to save money–am i crazy?

well, the recipe specifically called for lining the pan with foil and it usually makes it way easier to lift them out. i guess there is a nonstick factor too, but most baking pans these days are nonstick. i can’t tell if you’re joking about the other questions or not, but email me at justin at justinschwartz.com if you want me to really answer you, which i’m happy to do.

5. Hanaa says:

I love the toasted coconut on top, and you can definitely tell these brownies are ooey-gooey. Great job! They actually remind me of my favorite candy bar growing up, called Bounty (not sure if you can get that here in the US). It’s a candy bar with a coconut filling enrobed in dark chocolate. Yum! Too bad I’m allergic to coconut now (snif!).

i think i’ve had Bounty on a trip to the U.K., if that’s where you’re based. it sounds very familiar. it sounds like Mounds or Almond Joy here in the U.S. Sorry to hear about your allergy though — that’s one allergy I would really not want to have.

6. Yumm. I love putting a sprinkle of coconut on top of baked goods – cakes, brownies, you name it.

7. Oh wow, these looks AMAZING! I’m going to have to try this.

PS Congrats on the blog move!

I’m not a huge fan of chocolate but I would gobble these up for the coconut alone! They look amazing.