Happy Pie Day, 2011

Chocolate-Bourbon-Pecan Pie

Pie Day started out so simply. I think Shauna and Irvin were tweeting about the next time they might meet up and what they would bake together. I jokingly invited myself along, and then so did Ashley (or did Ashley invite herself first?). Well, I forget the exact order of things now, but you can read more about the story here. We settled on a date (July 5) for a virtual bake-in, and within a couple of days, people as far away as the U.K. were talking about Pie Day. It turned into a global event, and I think more than a thousand people are planning to post about pie today. Ah, the power of social networking. My pie recipe, Chocolate-Bourbon-Pecan, was created by the amazing David Lebovitz and is highly recommended.

pie crust

If you look at David’s photos, obviously I made the crust a little differently in a standard glass Pyrex pie pan, thicker around the edges. I guess that’s how I like it.  The pastry was perfect and easy to work with, even if my decorating skills leave a little to be desired.

chocolate chips for pie

I’ve made a lot of pecan pies in my life, but my long time standard was a Susan Purdy recipe. What immediately distinguishes David’s recipe is the chocolate of course.

mixing pie ingredients

Making the filling is a breeze.

Chocolate-Bourbon-Pecan Pie

You pour everything into the unbaked crust, which is a nice time-saver.

Chocolate-Bourbon-Pecan Pie

The interesting thing about this recipe is that even with the chocolate, it’s not very sweet. In fact, I’d describe this as “adult” pie. Also, despite appearances, it’s a little lighter in texture than many pecan pies I’ve tried.  I think that’s because you chop up the nuts and mix them all throughout, versus pies I’ve had with a very dense filling layer and the pecans floating on the top. If you look closely at this photo, you can see a little green bit of something on the top, towards the left side. This was served as a birthday pie for the daughter of JustcookNYC, and it’s a bit of melted candle! Well, I don’t think anyone minded. Happy Pie Die!

This entry was posted in Baking, Desserts, pie and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Happy Pie Day, 2011

1. Jeannie says:

Looks good and I like the fact that you don’t have to prebake your crust:)

2. Jun Belen says:

Delicious! I made Molly Wizenberg’s Hoosier Pie last year — very similar to David’s. Chocolate and pecan are excellent together. And then you add Bourbon… brilliant!

3. Pingback: Blood Orange Lemon Vanilla Infused Shaker Pie Recipe | Eat the Love

4. I think your pie looks just fine–crust very nice! David would be happy with it. Sorry I missed your global pie in–doing the Country Gardens photo shoot overwhelmed me. It went great btw–posted some pics if you want to take a look.

5. Ohh…love this! Nuts and Chocolate, plus a pastry crust? I don’t need anything else in my life!

6. Garrett says:

Looks excellent! Love the fluting on the crust!

7. Sally says:

I wouldn’t apologize for the crust. You made it yourself, and I say, the more the better! Especially with this pie, it looks beautiful. Happy pie day.

8. Joanna says:

your pie turned out wonderful!

9. cindy says:

bourbon, chocolate, and pecans. oh, yes! i love that this pie isn’t cloyingly sweet and that there is a thicker layer of nuts than the traditional…the pecans are my favorite part!

10. One of the “problems” I’ve always had with pecan pie is that I think it’s usually too sweet. But I love that this pie is less sweet and dense, even with the chocolate.

I think the combo of the chocolate and bourbon must be pretty fantastic though. And your crust looks great. It seems like the perfect filling to crust ratio.

11. Megan says:

Yum! This pie looks so good, and simple! I can’t wait to give this one a shot.

Pie Day is so fun! I made a strawberry rhubarb one. Now, I need chocolate though!

12. Lillian says:

this looks amazing, justin… you have one lucky daughter! ;)

13. Pingback: It’s party time. « Documenting our Dinner.

14. Ashley says:

Beautiful pie! I invited myself after you. Once I saw you were going I knew it was going to be a party. :) So glad we joined the conversation. Just look what happened – there’s pie everywhere!

15. Looks beautiful and delicious!

16. GIGI LOVES FOOD says:

I normally don’t care for pecan pie, but this recipe sounds delicious, and your photos made me want to have a slice. Hope you had a nice 4th of July.

17. Well this is one seriously good looking pie!

18. Um, this is quite possibly the pie of my dreams. All the things I love best in one place AND not too sweet! That thick crust is making my mouth water, seriously. Pie day – so fun! Perhaps I’ll invite myself to join next year. :-)

19. Kayla says:

That looks totally wonderful. I think you did a great job with the crust:) I’m not that great a baker, so my crust ends up looking ‘rustic’ all the time. Thumbs up for the use of chocolate and nuts. It’s amazing how words can spread so quickly in the food blogging community.

20. tara says:

what are you talking about, Justin? that’s a GORGEOUS crust. i think i’ve told you, i have a funny love for certain desserts straight out of the fridge … this looks like one of those. chocolate and pecans via David (and you!), you can’t go wrong with that.

i’m thinking that with the density of the filling, we could bake this in a square pan and make bars! that would be brilliant.

and happy belated to the daughter of justcooknyc!

aww, thanks. but you know, the texture really was light. you could make a bar work, but it’s not totally suited to that kind of preparation. most other pecan pies i’ve made would work pretty well though — very dense

21. Gail says:

What a gorgeous pie. Chocolate pecan is my favorite pie to serve at Thanksgiving, so I’ll definitely look into this recipe.
    And, I agree wholeheartedly with what others have said: your fluted edge is so pretty…it floats along the top of the pie plate.

22. style fare says:

What a beautiful pie! The crust is my favorite part, so I love that you made the fluted edges nice and thick. I’m not normally a pecan pie person, but I may just have to try this ‘lighter’ version for myself.

Happy birthday to your daughter! :)

23. Pingback: Pie Day 2012… gluten-free! | Justcook NYC