hot & cheesy jalapeno chicken

Jalapeno Chicken

Enough with the gluten-free cupcake reviews! Clifford Wright says about this recipe, Chicken in Jalapeno Cream Sauce, in his brand-new cookbook, Hot & Cheesy, that it’s a beauty to behold, and I have to agree. In fact it’s so good, I can’t think of any way to make it better, and once you try it, you’ll probably be wondering (like I was) how soon you can make it again.

jalapeno sauce

I was worried about the “heat” when I saw the ingredients list. You seed and chop 8 jalapenos and process them in a blender with 1/2 cup whole milk.

jalapeno sauce

Then you melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat, add a tablespoon of flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill’s gluten-free all-purpose flour mix with great success) and cook, stirring, for about a minute to make a roux. Add the blended chile mixture and stir until smooth. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add 1 cup of Mexican crema or heavy cream, and stir until the sauce begins to bubble, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and add a teaspoon of salt. By this time the heat has really cooled down. The sauce can be refrigerated at this point for up to a day.

chicken breasts

It’s a funny thing, but I’m not a huge fan of skinless, boneless chicken. That’s what you use here though — you melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat, then add 2 pounds of boneless breast halves and brown for about 4 minutes on each side.

chicken breasts

The browned breasts go into a buttered 12 x 9-inch baking casserole, although come to think of it, I probably forgot to grease the pan.

Jalapeno Chicken

The gorgeous green sauce goes on top.

Jalapeno Chicken

And because this book is called Hot & Cheesy, you top everyhing with 1 1/2 cups (about 5 ounces) greated Monterey Jack cheese.

Jalapeno Chicken

Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes and serve hot with some warm corn tortillas (it’s also good with rice). And don’t worry about the spice because it totally mellows by the time the cheese melts in and everything is done.

This entry was posted in casseroles, cheese, chicken, Cookbooks and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to hot & cheesy jalapeno chicken

1. Ambika says:

Wow!! I don’t eat chicken, but the jalapno sauce looks yummy!!

2. Gloria says:

Yum. Creamy, cheesey, jalapeno sauce over chicken is my kind of dish. Looking forward to trying this. Thanks for sharing.

3. renee says:

Hey Justin,

Thanks this looks awesome and I’m making it Thursday for a lunch I’m throwing. I wanted chicken, chili and cheese and google sent me to you. I lived in Astoria for a couple of years and sure miss the city. It looks like I can do a little catching up here!

4. Mindy says:

This looks delicious! I absolutely love jalapenos, but don’t get enough chance to use them creatively!

5. As a Texas cook that has been cooking with jalapenos for almost 200 years now, I can’t wait to make this recipe. Most people don’t realize that the longer you good jalapenos, the milder they get and the pureeing of these would help them to cook all the faster. This looks like a wonderful recipe for my family dinner on Thursday night. Thanks!

6. HOT DAMN! That would frighten me too (for a moment)! Great way to adapt the recipe for your gf needs.

right, i was tweeting while making the recipe, in a bit of a panic, but it was perfect. and as adapting recipes go, this was pretty straightforward. when it comes to baking recipes, i’m still clueless.

7. I love the light green color of the sauce and I love almost any kind of peppers. I can’t get jalapenos but I’ll be making this with some green chili peppers I have. Thanks for posting!

8. cherry says:

I want to put this inside a tortilla wrap! Thoughts?
    Also, I’m a big fan of spice, any idea how I can make it very spicy while keeping the cheese?

a tortilla wrap would be pretty similar to how i served it, with corn tortillas, but it’s SUPER messy so i’m not sure the wrap would hold up. i guess you could just add more jalapenos, but if you really wanted to spice this up, probably just adding one much spicier chile like a habanero would do a lot to heat things up. that’s just a guess though.

9. Tausha says:

I made this tonight for dinner, and even my 6 yr old loved it! I forgot the salt, and ended upneeding to add a little on top after serving, but otherwise turned out even better than I expected it to! It wasnt spicy at all, and had a wonderful jalapeno flavor. Thanks! I’ll definitely be making this again!

love this comment since no one else had reported back after actually making it! now i feel like it wasn’t a fluke that i totally loved it. i hope the person who asked about their 7-year-old reads it. you’re welcome.

10. Amrita says:

Miam miam miam! Cheese, Jalapeno and chicken…there’s nothing in this dish that I wouldn’t swoon about.

11. zimmerhouse says:

loved it, even my 9 year old loved it! I found this recipe a couple weeks ago on Pinterest and have been meaning to try it and was so glad I did! Thanks for posting it.

12. Nicole says:

I have now made this dish three times, and it is AMAZING every time. Tonight, I made it using roasted poblanos, and it was succesful once again. It’s made into the rotation, and I can’t wait to play around with it more. Thanks for the wonderful recipe. Tonight, my husband officially declared it his “death row dish.” Well done, sir!

13. Mary Ellen says:

I am going to make this tomorrow since I have a ton of jalapenos leftover from our Cinco de Mayo celebration yesterday. I am going to add garlic and cilantro to the sauce. Looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing

14. Kelly says:

Just put it in the oven! I added some mushrooms and onions around the chicken. (I just prefer a little vegetables with my chicken) I’ll let you know how my husband and guests like it!

15. Making this tomorrow! So excited!

16. Pingback: one year gluten-free | Justcook NYC

17. Jen says:

There is a Mexican restaurant by my house that serves enchiladas topped with a jalapeno cream sauce. I have been trying to find a recipe to duplicate it, and I think I am going to this one a try! Thank you!

18. Pingback: hatch chile & coconut cream chicken

19. We made a variation of this. I was always in love with the jalapeño sauce but only found fresh ones this year. We pan fried the chicken until they were golden brown, made a basic bechamel sauce,and then put the jalapeños into a food processor with some white wine and mixed them into the sauce during the last stage. We then poured this over the golden brown chicken which were diced and had it with 18 grain rice. This was published in 2012, so we waited a long time before we could really make it. :)